Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Opinion: Magic Missile Etymology

From Swords & Wizardry Core Rules:
There are two versions of the magic missile spell, and your Referee will specify which version (one or both) is available in his campaign: in the first version, the magic user must roll to hit the target with a +1 bonus to the roll. The missile inflicts 1d6+1 points of damage. In the second version of the spell, the missile hits automatically, doing 1d4+1 points of damage.
I read the above quote after talking to one of the players in a S&W PbP I'm running; he wanted to know how much damage the spell did and I couldn’t remember if it was 1d6+1 or 1d4+1.  I was surprised to see the two versions listed therein; S&W is based on original D&D but I couldn’t remember there being two different versions of the spell.  Especially in OD&D itself.

I had to investigate this.

I made a post to the S&W forums and, with the information gleaned from the replies, I was on my way.  I pulled out my OD&D PDFs, my Holmes, Mentzer, and Moldvay Basic Sets, my Rules Compendium, my 1E PHB, my 2E PHB, and a copy of the d20 SRD.  Here’s what I discovered:
  • OD&D Supplement 1 (Greyhawk) says that MMs do 2-7 points of damage, with two additional missiles every 5 levels.  No comment is made about rolling to-hit or not.
  • Holmes Basic D&D says that MMs do 2-7 points of damage, with higher level casters firing more than one missile.  A to-hit roll must be made as if it were fired from a long bow.
  • Moldvay Basic D&D says that MMs do 2-7 (1d6+1) points of damage, with two additional missiles every 5 levels.  They automatically hit any visible target.
  • Mentzer Basic D&D echoes Moldvay Basic D&D.
  • The D&D Rules Cyclopedia echoes Moldvay Basic D&D.
  • The AD&D 1E PHB says that MMs do 2-5 (1d4+1) points of damage, with one additional missile every 2 levels.  They unerringly strike their target.
  • The AD&D 2E PHB echoes the 1E PHB.
  • The d20 SRD echoes the 1E PHB.
So it appears that there are two different “standardizing moments” in the Magic Missile spell’s history: Moldvay Basic and AD&D first edition.  Prior to Moldvay the spell might have been consistent but it’s too vague in OD&D to be sure.  Given the Holmes clarification, I’d like to think that Mr. Gygax intended for a to-hit roll to be made in OD&D.

My answer to my player?  He could cast either version of the spell as chosen at time of casting, an answer taken straight from the S&W forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment