Friday, April 8, 2011

A to Z Blogging Challenge: D is for Dice

There is one thing all table-top D&D players have in common: dice.  It doesn't matter what edition of the game is being played, everyone needs and uses dice.

Dice come in all sizes, flavors, and colors, and for each different die there is a different approach taken to dice by the gamers that use them.  There are gamers who don't care about their dice and use whichever ones are tossed their way at the start of the game.  There are gamers who are hypersensitive about their entirely matching collection.  There are gamers who expect everyone to ooh and aah over their Crystal Caste Dwarven Stones dice as they are laid out on the table.

The same goes for dice bags.  I've seen gamers toss all their dice in metal lunchboxes.  I've seen hand-made dice bags, chain mail dice bags, renaissance fair pouches used as dice bags, Crown Royal bottle bags, Tupperware containers, the list goes on and on.  A buddy of mine has a pair of "lucky" d20s; he swears by them, stating that one consistently rolls low and the other consistently rolls high.  He keeps those in a miniature Tupperware container, inside a miniature pouch, inside his regular dice bag.

My dice are pictured above.  They're Chessex speckled dice which I purchased more years ago than I care to count.  They're elementally-themed: air, earth, fire, and water, with a single d20 from the para-elemental plane of lava, heh.  I keep them all in a Yellow Sign dice bag purchased from Chaosium some time ago.  When playing I tend to use the fire set, although I always roll to hit with the lava d20.  They work well for me and I like them.  I'm sure they'd work well for others as well... but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some other gamer lay their grubby hands on MY dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment