Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cosmic Horror SRD: Design Part II

Today I've been working on skills for the Cosmic Horror SRD.  I think the Call of Cthulhu d20 skill system - pulled from the D&D 3.0 SRD (I think) - is needlessly complex. I'm a fan of the Pathfinder skill system, which works great in Pathfinder, but I was concerned about how the changes would affect the Cosmic Horror SRD.

(D&D gives skill ranks equal to (X+INT)*4 at first level and X+INT at subsequent levels; class skills cost 1 rank per +1, non-class skill cost 2 ranks per +1; max ranks in a class skill is character level + 3, half that for a non-class skill.  Pathfinder gives X+INT ranks per level; max ranks in any skill is equal to character level; class skills with at least 1 rank get a +3 bonus.  In both cases, X is a variable number based on class; in Call of Cthulhu d20, X = 8.)

So, I did a little experiment.  I created a 1st level defensive option character with 13 in all abilities and the archaeologist profession using the Call of Cthulhu d20 rules, and a 1st level Defensive Investigator character with 13 in all abilities and the archaeologist occupation using the Cosmic Horror SRD and the Pathfinder skill system.  I then compared the two characters.

The Call of Cthulhu d20 character wound up with 36 skill points (8 base plus 1 for INT times 4).  Twelve skills from the archaeologist profession are class skills, so with a little basic division I put 3 ranks into each of the twelve class skills and no ranks into any non-class skills.  The character wound up with a +4 total in each of the skills.

The Cosmic Horror SRD character wound up with 9 skill points (8 base plus 1 for INT).  The same twelve skills from the archaeologist occupation were considered class skills.  I could not put a rank into all twelve skills with only 9 ranks and I could only put 1 rank into any given skill... so only 9 of the twelve skills were given a rank.  However, each of those 9 skills wound up with a total of +5 (+1 for 1 rank, +1 for INT, +3 for class skill bonus).

While I'd need many, many more test-case scenarios to scientifically back this up, I think I'm comfortable assuming that if I go with the D&D system in the Cosmic Horror SRD the characters will have more skills starting out at lower total bonuses than if I went with the Pathfinder system, where they'll have fewer skills with higher total bonuses.  So I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Pathfinder system; if I need to, I can balance out the number of skills by increasing the ranks allotted (say to 9 or 10) and the overall total bonus by dropping the class bonus (say to a +2 instead of a +3).

No comments:

Post a Comment